There are a few things I would like to see happen this year. Some serious and some less serious. I have put a lot of thought into this list:
1. I wonder if Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch would consider reuniting for a concert tour. I think that Mark Wahlberg should really consider this idea. Perhaps the concerts could be acoustic, adding a layer of gravitas to such great hits as “Good Vibrations.”
2. I want to see more hilarious YouTube musical offerings that take popular music and change the lyrics to create a new song that addresses serious issues in a humorous way, think “Ordain a Lady” based on the popular song “Call Me Maybe.” Frankly, the new version of that particular song is now stuck in my head, and I want to write a letter to the pope asking him to open up discussion of this issue.
3. I would like churches and communities to have ongoing discussion and prayer about violence toward women. I mean particularly all the turmoil surrounding rape. Why has this crime become a political tool? I want our culture to examine why this crime is seen as a gray area. What does this say about the relationship between men and women? What does this say about how we communicate with each other? Eventually my hope would be that yes means yes and no means no.
4. If NASA can put a rocket into space, why can’t scientists discover a delicious sugar substitute? I want a substitute that tastes exactly like sugar.
5. Finally, I was wondering if maybe this year, as a culture, we could find less violent ways to deal with our problems. My suggestion is instead of a gun, please buy and fill up water balloons with shaving cream and throw them at people. Let’s find creative ways to express our displeasure, and even more creative ways to find resolution.
So what would you like to see this year?